Narrator: David Attenborough
Genre: Documentary, Science and Nature
Focus: Documentary series filming rare and unusual creatures and their behaviours throughout the world’s ocean environments, and examining the problems the ocean faces.
Synopsis: In 2001, The Blue Planet opened our eyes to the worlds beneath the waves. A generation on, new science and technology allow us to journey deeper than ever before. World-renowned naturalist Sir David Attenborough presents this landmark BBC documentary series about our planet’s oceans. It explores the latest frontiers of scientific discovery. From icy-white polar seas to vibrant blues of the coral atolls, and from the storm-tossed green Atlantic coastline to the black depths of the alien deep. This documentary series showcases rare and unusual creatures and animal behaviours, as well as documenting the problems our ocean faces.
Duration: 7 episodes | 59 mins each (+ 1 special episode of 90 mins)
Producers: BBC Earth – Natural History Unit
- One Ocean: A journey from the intense heat of the tropics to the frozen poles.
- The Deep: Submarines explore deep ocean wildlife.
- Coral reefs: How corals are created in the warm and shallow seas of the tropics.
- Big Blue: The vast marine desert where there is little to eat and nowhere to hide.
- Green Seas: Sunlight powers the growth of enchanted forests of kelp, mangroves and prairies of sea grass.
- Coasts: The wildlife that lives on the boundary between land and sea.
- Our Blue Planet: Examining the role of human anthropogenic activity on the oceans especially microplastics and pollution.
- Oceans of wonder: This extended special takes you on a journey from the equator to the unexplored depths of the ocean, meeting all the best-loved characters from the series.
How to watch:
Sea Fans uses affiliate links to keep ourselves afloat. If you click through and make a purchase, we may get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for your support in this way.
- Search on your streaming service
- BBC iPlayer | Stream for free (UK only)
- Amazon.co.uk | Stream or buy the DVD (UK only)
- Amazon.com | Stream or buy the DVD (US only)
Be inspired: Discover more ways to learn about the ocean.
Write a review: Share your thoughts below.
Disclaimer: Please read our terms and conditions.