BBC Blue Planet 2
Take a deep breath
Narrator: David Attenborough
Genre: Documentary, Science and Nature
Suitability: U, Suitable for all
Focus: Documentary series filming rare and unusual creatures and their behaviours throughout the world’s ocean environments, and examining the problems the ocean faces.
Synopsis: In 2001, The Blue Planet opened our eyes to the worlds beneath the waves. A generation on, new science and technology allow us to journey deeper than ever before. World-renowned naturalist Sir David Attenborough presents this landmark BBC documentary series about our planet’s oceans. It explores the latest frontiers of scientific discovery. From icy-white polar seas to vibrant blues of the coral atolls, and from the storm-tossed green Atlantic coastline to the black depths of the alien deep. This documentart series showcases rare and unusual creatures and animal behaviours, as well as documenting the problems our ocean faces.
Episodes: Based on each ocean environment:
- One Ocean: A journey from the intense heat of the tropics to the frozen poles.
- The Deep: Submarines explore deep ocean wildlife.
- Coral reefs: How corals are created in the warm and shallow seas of the tropics.
- Big Blue: The vast marine desert where there is little to eat and nowhere to hide.
- Green Seas: Sunlight powers the growth of enchanted forests of kelp, mangroves and prairies of sea grass.
- Coasts: The wildlife that lives on the boundary between land and sea.
- Our Blue Planet: Examining the role of human anthropogenic activity on the oceans especially microplastics and pollution.
- Oceans of wonder: This extended special takes you on a journey from the equator to the unexplored depths of the ocean, meeting all the best-loved characters from the series.
Duration: 7 episodes | 59 mins each (+ 1 special episode of 90 mins)
Producers: BBC Earth – Natural History Unit
Released: October, 2017
Tags: Ocean protection, deep sea, coral, coral reef, bioluminescence,
Watch BBC Blue Planet 2 today
- BBCi Player
- BBC Earth: Subscribe to BBC Earth’s YouTube channel for lots of exciting videos about the underwater world and it’s amazing inhabitants.
- Watch the original: BBC’s Blue Planet (2001) is available to buy on Amazon.
The next step: Discover more ways to learn about the ocean.
Write a review: Share your thoughts on this documentary series below.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.