Who: Sharklife Conservation Group
Where: Sodwana Bay, South Africa
Focus: Shark research and marine conservation in South Africa.
When: Project is open all year round:
- December to March – Ragged tooth sharks gestating. Warmest water and best visibility.
- July to October: Humpback whale migration and dusky shark season.
- October to March – Loggerhead and leatherback nesting season.
Qualifications: Pure Apnea Freediving
Duration: 2 weeks, 1 month or 3 months
Cost: The price gets cheaper the longer you stay:
- 2 weeks from $1,100 USD
- 1 month from $1995
- 3 months from $2995
To get 5% off your booking (subject to conditions) simply fill in the form below.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Get close to sharks
- Learn about shark ecology and how to ID different shark species
- Get an accredited Freediving certification
- Assist with marine research projects
- Develop seamanship skills
- Examine real shark and ray specimens
- Encounter diverse marine megafauna
- Freedive in warm clear ocean environments
- Study in a World Heritage Site known as the iSimangaliso Wetland Park – South Africa’s third-largest protected area
- Visit the nearby Big 5 Game reserves (optional extra)
- Get the chance to learn scuba diving on your days off (optional extra)
All volunteers will gain a Pure Apnea Freediving qualification which will enable you to freedive comfortably between 5-10m.
A 4-hour drive from Durban Airport, Sodwana bay is a small, friendly diving town with a few restaurants and bars. The area surrounding the camp is a world heritage sight.
Accommodation: The camp consists of 5 rooms, 2 bathrooms and a large communal kitchen. Hot water and electricity are available. The camp is on the same land as the Sharklife Museum and Ocean discovery centre.
Sleeping: Each intern gets a private room with a single bed and electricity. There are shared toilets and showers (2 bathrooms between max 5 interns).
Food: Not included. There are regular trips to the local supermarket and a well-equipped communal kitchen at the intern camp.
Working week: 5 days a week, between 8am and 4pm. Ocean days may vary. Interns get 2 days off a week.
Base size: Max 5-6 Volunteers, plus 4 staff members (2 dive instructors/ managers & 2 marine researchers).
Support: 24-hour support throughout internship.
Transport: Airport transfer included on official start and end date of internships.
Get 5% off with Sea Fans
Fill in this enquiry form, and a member of Sharklife will get in touch to answer all your questions. Plus, you’ll get 5% off your booking (subject to conditions).
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer for the ocean.
Write a review: Share your thoughts below.
Disclaimer: Please read our terms and conditions.