Open Ocean Science Centres
Saving our oceans with Education, Research, Citizen Science and Conservation
Who: Open Ocean Science Centres
Where: Roots Red Sea resort, El Quseir, Red Sea, Egypt
Focus: Coral reef surveying and beach cleans
When: All year round
Duration: 4 – 12 weeks
Suitability: 18+ | Ages 12-17 allowed when accompanied by a legal guardian
- Self motivated, independent and fully able to undertake tasks with minimal supervision.
- Good health with travel and dive insurance for the full lenght of stay.
Cost: Prices start from £775 per month. Upgrades available on request. Additional weeks from £195.
Get 5% off your booking (subject to conditions). Simply complete the form below.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Assist the Open Oceans Science team with Citizen Science projects through scuba diving and snorkelling.
- Learn to survey coral reefs in order to assess the reef’s health by recording coral and algal cover, coral bleaching, fish populations, invertebrates and other intertidal creatures.
- Take part in beach cleans at the local dive sites.
- Liaising with local conservation bodies such as HEPCA and RSEC.
- Have the chance to visit other areas of Egypt such as Luxor and Cairo.
- Learn to dive or advance dive skills through various PADI courses up to Divemaster – courses are provided at highly discounted rates for volunteers.
- To lead surveys, volunteers must complete the OOSC Survey/Snorkel Diver water certification.
- Opportunity to complete the PADI Dive Against Debris certification.
- Divemaster internship available (recommended length of stay is 6 weeks).
- Volunteers dive for free on their day off.
- Full dive equipment rental is available for £200 per month.
Roots Red Sea is a small friendly resort aimed at scuba divers and snorkellers. It’s situated in Egypt, on the edge of the Eastern Desert next to the Red Sea, 80 kilometres south of Safaga and 14 kilometres north of El Quseir.
The resort boasts a peaceful, relaxed atmosphere with the convenience of the small traditional town of El Quseir on its doorstep. It is managed by British owned and run Pharaoh Dive Club who have an unsurpassed reputation for friendly helpful staff delivering great personal service.
The public area facilities at Roots are charmingly rustic. A traditionally built reception welcomes guests with inspirational architecture. The chill out lounge and bar providing a quiet haven for relaxing and additionally serves refreshments to the fresh water pool just outside. Just a short walk away is the Roots private beach on Abu Sauatir Bay.
Eco Huts: Volunteers stay in bright and airy eco huts, which are constructed from natural materials. The huts are made from a mixture of local red stone, thatched roof and woven reed exterior walls. Inside, there are simple Egyptian cotton wall coverings accentuated with colourful Bedouin cloth
Each hut sleeps up to 4 people and are fitted with a large electric ceiling fan, bedside reading lamps, bedside power points, and storage with hanging space. The rooms are supplied with clean bed linen and 2 towels per person. Beach towels are provided at the reception.
Wash House & Toilets: The modern, clean washing and toilet facilities are situated just 20 meters away across the courtyard. Inside the wash house there are individual curtained shower cubicles with hot and cold water supplies. There are 4 showers in each facility. The toilets and washing basins are situated in the same blocks.
Food: Breakfast and dinner are included. All meals are freshly prepared by the kitchen team. The food is a mix of European and Arabic dishes designed to provide a hearty base for the daily activities. Special dietary needs are catered for within the bounds of available supplies.
Base size: Roots has a capacity of 60 guests with between 1 and 6 volunteers being on site throughout the year. OOSC have a resident marine biologist on site who is supported by the dive team of 12 staff.
Working week: Volunteers work from 8.30am to 5.00pm with 1 day off per week.
- 24 hour phone.
- A British nurse on call 24 hours a day
- Local hospital is 10 minutes drive from the base
- Decompression facilities are 1 hour north and south of Roots. Membership of DECO is recommended to all new arrivals, the cost of which is €6 for the month.
Transport: Airport transfers are arranged and provided 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
Get 5% off with Sea Fans
Fill in this enquiry form, and a member of the Open Ocean Science Centre will get in touch to answer all your questions. Plus, you’ll get 5% off your booking (subject to conditions).
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.