Who: Deep Blue Conservation
Where: Triton Dive Lodge, Olakeni Reserve, Sodwana Bay, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
Focus: Scuba dive to help monitor and conserve South Africa’s only coral reef complex.
When: January – November
- Dec-Mar: Ragged-tooth sharks gestating.
- Jul-Oct: Humpback whale migration.
- Oct-Mar: Loggerhead and leatherback turtle nesting season.
Duration: 2 – 12 weeks (recommended time 4 weeks)
- Rescue Diver: Min. 8 weeks
- Divemaster Internship: 12 weeks
Suitability: Over 18s (the project is more suited to younger applicants but does accept all ages above 18)
Pre-requisites: Volunteers should be able to swim, and understand and communicate in English
- 2 weeks costs 1450 EUR (incl. PADI Open Water course)
- An additional 2 weeks costs 1050 EUR
Get 5% off your booking through Sea Fans (subject to conditions). Simply fill in the form below.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Gain PADI dive qualifications of any level, beginner to divemaster.
- Enjoy diving in the warm waters of the Indian Ocean.
- Explore the reefs located in South Africa’s first UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Help monitor the health of these South African reefs by collecting photographic data on various indicator species and recording different ocean conditions.
- Contribute ID data to international scientific databases, as well as learn how to continue to contribute data after the volunteer program.
- Receive Deep Blue marine ecology lectures and partake in informative discussions with a local zoologist.
- Immerse yourself in the local culture of the Zulu people.
- Make memories with unforgettable new friends from both South Africa and from around the world.
- Leave behind the rush of the city life and fully immerse yourself in nature.
- Explore the local area with more than 20 different activities to keep you busy! Surf, play pool at a local bar, go for sundowners, relax by a bonfire, enjoy pizza nights and so much more
- Volunteers complete their PADI Open Water during the first week of the program (incl. in fee).
- Qualified divers can complete their PADI Advanced Open Water (incl. in fee).
- Advanced Open Water (extra): Includes five speciality courses (100 EUR).
- Rescue Diver: 8 week volunteer program (price on request).
- Divemaster Internship: 12 week program (price on request).
Accommodation: Volunteers stay at a dive lodge which is situated just outside the iSimangaliso Wetland Park. It’s a 5 km drive from the town and a 10 km drive to the beach.
Sleeping: Volunteers stay in a shared loft or shared wooden or brick cabins. There are shared bathrooms, a shared kitchen, fire area, swimming pool and a restaurant / bar. Rooms are primarily single sex but may be mixed based on volunteer numbers.
Food: Each week volunteers are taken to the nearest town to buy groceries for the week (included in the fee). Thereafter volunteers cook their own food in the communal kitchen. Each night the camp staff make a fire at the fire area where volunteers and interns can barbeque (braai) together and socialise.
Working week: Monday to Friday (7/8am to 2/3pm). Weekends are free for excursions.
Base size: Max. 10 volunteers and interns, along with 2 on-site project coordinators, and other camp staff (manager, skipper, instructors, divemasters and cleaning staff).
Support: Project coordinators stay next to the camp and can be contacted at any time. Camp staff stay on the camp and are always available. The nearest hospital is a 20 min drive from the camp. All volunteers and interns are insured by DAN, the nearest decompression chamber is 3 hour drive from the camp.
Transport: Airport pick-up from the Richards Bay airport is included in the fee. Volunteers travel to the beach as well as around Sodwana with a pick-up (bakkie). The project uses a zodiac boat to get from the beach to the dive sites.
Get 5% off with Sea Fans
Fill in this enquiry form, and a member of Deep Blue Conservation will get in touch to answer all your questions. Plus, you’ll get 5% off your booking (subject to conditions).
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Write a review: Share your thoughts below.
Disclaimer: Please read our terms and conditions.