Become a Whale Watching Volunteer
Who: Outreach International
Where: Mazatlan, Mexico
Focus: Whale watching assistant
When: January to March
Duration: Min. 2 months
Suitability: Over 18s. Ideal for students studying marine biology and ecology, oceanography or zoology.
Cost: 8 weeks from GBP 2625.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Become a whale watching research volunteer, working as part of an ecotourism agency based in Mazatlan, Mexico
- Help fulfil the agency’s mission of connecting people with wildlife through unique experiences in nature.
- Go out on research boats to research breeding humpback whales in the Pacific ocean.
- Develop experience in research data management and presentation
- Assisting with data entry on logbooks and maintenance of cetacean photo-ID catalogues, reviewing and summarizing scientific data and the collection of sighting data and Photo-ID of whales.
- Get the chance to see a diverse range of marine life, including sea turtles, sea lions, sharks, seabirds and many whale and dolphin species, including year round resident populations of bottlenose, spotted and spinner dolphins.
- Take part in other tours and expeditions performed by the agency, including sea kayaking, snorkelling, and sea turtle hatchling release
- Assist the team in other marine conservation tasks, like marine mammal strandings and whale disentanglements
- Take part in educational outreach activities.
- Receive 20 hours of 1-2-1 Spanish tuition.
Accommodation: Included. Contact Outreach International for more details.
Food: 3 meals a day.
Support: 24-hour in-country support.
Transport: Airport pick up and drop off.
The next step: Visit Outreach International for more info and to apply.
Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.