Who: The Great Projects
Where: Faial Island, The Azores
Focus: Monitoring whales and dolphins with a focus on sperm and blue whales:
- Assist in the island’s whale and dolphin conservation initiatives where 30% of all cetacean species known on the planet can be found.
- Experience field research and observe whales and dolphins in their natural habitat.
- Learn about whale biology, marine conservation, species identification and behavioural data collection techniques.
- Conduct cetacean surveys from land and from a boat and perform photo-identification.
- Catalogue and analyse the data obtained from excursions, including photos, sound recordings and surveys.
- Learn basic boat skills and assist with boat duties, such as boat checks and cleaning.
When: April to July
- April to end-May: Focus on Blue whales with additional research on Sperm, Fin, Sei and Humpback whales.
- June to July: Peak season for sperm whales is June to July, including more varieties of dolphins including the Atlantic spotted dolphin and bottlenose and Risso dolphins.
Duration: 1-8 weeks | Recommended length of stay is min. 2 weeks.
Suitability: Over 18s.
Visit The Great Projects for more information.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer for the ocean.
Write a review: Share your thoughts below.
Disclaimer: Please read our terms and conditions.