Who: The Great Projects
Where: Mafia Island, Tanzania
Focus: Swim with and research whale sharks:
- Learn whale shark ecology.
- Take photos and videos of the whale sharks to contribute to the global spot-pattern identification project (which maps the global migration of whale sharks).
- Identify whale shark injuries, mutilations and scars which will help the team understand the impact of tourism on the sharks.
- Take tourists out on the boats to see whale sharks and demonstrate the proper way to dive with whale sharks safely.
- Learn snorkelling and skin diving techniques.
When: October to February | Peak whale shark season – October to December
Duration: 2-12 weeks
Suitability: Over 18s | Volunteers should be confident swimmers.
Visit The Great Projects for more information.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to experience the ocean
Write a review: Share your thoughts below.
Disclaimer: Please read our terms and conditions.