Mozambique Whale Sharks
Where: Mozambique (project site changes depending on whale shark sightings).
Focus: Monitoring whale sharks, loggerhead turtles, and coral reef surveying.
When: January to November
Duration: Min. 4 weeks
Suitability: Over 18s. Group bookings available.
Cost: 4 weeks starts from GBP 1995 | Extra week from GBP 495.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Conduct snorkel surveys of the resident whale shark population.
- Take photographs to identify individual whale sharks and monitor their numbers and behaviour.
- Monitor loggerhead turtle nesting activity and tag adult turtles.
- Monitor the health of coral reef through snorkel surveys.
- Become a PADI Open Water diver and take part in underwater surveys.
- Explore the endless beaches and ancient towns of Mozambique.
Accommodation: Volunteers stay in a beach hut situated on the beach. The whale shark research project moves following the whale sharks. The project site varies with the seasons and whale shark movements can’t be predicted months in advance.
Sleeping: Clean and comfortable beach hut.
Food: 3 meals a day, except on Sundays when volunteers cook for themselves.
Support: 24-hour in-country support; International HQ emergency support and back-up; UK residential briefing weekend available.
Transport: Pick-up from Inhambane Airport.
The next step: Visit Frontier for more information and to book.
Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.