Costa Rica Sea Turtle Conservation
Where: Santa Rosa National Park, North Pacific Coast, Costa Rica
Focus: Monitoring of Black and Olive Ridley turtles and supporting the hatchery
When: July to March | High season – September to October
Duration: 2-4 weeks
Suitability: Over 18s. Group bookings available.
Cost: Available here.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Observe and monitor the nesting dynamics of female sea turtles.
- Collect scientific data and monitor turtle populations and behaviour.
- Patrol the beach during the day or night which, depending on the season, can last anywhere from two to five hours.
- Construct hatcheries where at risk nests can be relocated.
- Mark adult turtles and release hatchlings.
- Maintain the centre’s facilities and shelters.
- Perform beach clean ups and tree planting.
Accommodation: On arrival, volunteers stay at a homestay in San Jose for two days during orientation training. The project site is located to the south of the Santa Rosa National Park in the Guanacaste Conservation Area of the north pacific region. The base is surrounded by mangroves that provide a vital habitat for an array of bird species, and other animals. There is no electricity but there is a solar panel that provides lighting in the common area.
Sleeping: Shared, dormitory-style rooms for up to 8 people. Volunteers should bring their own sleeping bags and pillows.
Food: 3 healthy meals a day at project site (two meals at the homestay).
Support: 24-hour in-country support; International HQ emergency support and back-up; UK residential briefing weekend available.
Transport: Airport pick up from San José Juan Santamaria Airport on the Sunday and escorted to homestay.
The next step
Visit Frontier for more information and to book. Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.