Who: The Great Projects – The Great Turtle Project
Where: Kosgoda, Sri Lanka
Focus: Monitoring turtle nests and working at the hatchery. As a volunteer you will:
- Monitor local sea turtle activity and conserve the local nesting-sites. Since 1988, the Great Turtle Project has released over 94,000 hatchlings into the sea – Hawksbill, Green, Loggerhead and Olive Ridley.
- Take part in the day-to-day running of the hatchery centre and daily care of resident turtles, including cleaning the turtles’ shells, and ensuring the hatchery is clean.
- Release turtles into the sea, ensuring predators such as birds are scared away.
- Maintain and clean the project area and beach to make sure the nesting sites remain as healthy and safe as possible to give the turtles the best chance of survival.
- Teach English to local communities.
When: All year round. Turtles are rehabilitating at the sanctuary, either due to being injured/rescued, or as part of the head starter programme or for teaching purposes.
- Late November to April: Nesting season with eggs taking 7 weeks to hatch.
- January to early June: Hatching season.
- February to April: Peak hatching season – the most popular time to visit the project.
Duration: 1-12 weeks
Suitability: Min. age 7
Visit The Great Projects for more information.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to experience the ocean
Write a review: Share your thoughts below.
Disclaimer: Please read our terms and conditions.