Greece Sea Turtle Conservation Project
Where: Kefalonia Island, Greece
Focus: Loggerhead turtle monitoring and rehabilitation
When: June to September. Turtle nesting seasons:
- Mid-May to August is breeding season.
- August to Sept is hatching season.
Duration: 2 or 4 weeks (longer durations available on request).
Suitability: Over 18s. Volunteers should be able to cycle. Group bookings available.
Cost: 2 weeks from GBP 599 | 4 weeks from GBP 799.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Conserve and protect one of the most important loggerhead turtle nesting areas.
- Conduct field surveys on nesting beaches to locate and protect new nests, noting main breeding season is May to July, and peak nesting season is mid-May to August.
- Record nesting activity and help to protect turtle nests against predation by mammals and inundation by sea water.
- At night, survey, tag and measure nesting turtles and record beach characteristics and light pollution levels.
- Monitor and relocate vulnerable sea turtle hatchlings, noting main hatching season is August to September.
- Work with the local environmental authorities and fishermen in order to mitigate and reverse population reduction of turtles.
- Help educate the local community to try and encourage them to adopt friendlier attitudes towards the natural environment and gain a deeper understanding of the importance of conserving loggerhead sea turtles.
- Experience Greek culture and architecture first hand.
- Cycle between accommodation and the beaches.
Accommodation: Shared apartment right next to the beach. Facilities include shared bathrooms, hot water throughout day, kitchenette with a fridge, electricity and a balcony. Volunteers are required to cycle 15-20 minutes to their shifts on the nearby beaches.
Sleeping: Shared dorm
Food: Self-catered: The cost of food will be split between the volunteer teams operating at each site, as will the cooking duties, in line with the community living ethos on camp.
Working week: Volunteers get one day off a week.
Support: 24-hour in-country support; International HQ emergency support and back-up; UK residential briefing weekend available.
Transport: Airport pick up and public transport.
The next step: Visit Frontier for more information and to book.
Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.