Volunteer with loggerhead turtles in Greece
Who: Global Vision International (GVI)
Where: Bay of Lakonikos, Greece
When: June to September (set departure dates)
Duration: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 weeks.
- Over 18s: Individuals applying must be over 18.
- Family-friendly: This project accepts families with children aged over 14.
- Under 18? GVI run a similar turtle programme for ages 15-17. Fill in the enquiry form below to find out more.
Focus: The conservation and protection of one of the most important loggerhead turtle nesting areas in the region.
Internship: Marine Conservation Internship available a 6-12 week stay.
Cost: The price per week gets cheaper the longer you stay:
- 2 weeks from GBP 1,295
- 4 weeks from GBP 1,795
- 8 weeks from GBP 2,795
- 12 weeks from GBP 3,845
Get 5% off your booking (subject to conditions). Simply complete the form below.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Patrol the beach to locate new tracks and nests, and help protect nests against predation by mammals and/or being inundation by sea water.
- Collect vital data that contributes directly to coastal management plans in Greece and also the international strategy for the conservation of sea turtles.
- Take part in daily morning surveys to record nesting activity
- Record turtle data and measurements.
- Install protective nest grids
- Relocate and excavate nests (from August onwards)
- Harvest bamboo to assemble nest grids
- Provide important conservation information to overseas visitors and the local community.
Quiet campsite near a traditional fishing town. The campsite has a number of facilities, including a mini-market, a self-service restaurant and access to a telephone.
Sleeping: Tents right next to the beach with great views.
Food: 3 meals a day.
Support: Airport pick up, 24-hour emergency phone, 24-hour in-country phone.
Get 5% off with Sea Fans
Fill in this enquiry form, and a member of GVI will get in touch to answer all your questions. Plus, you’ll get 5% off your booking (subject to conditions).
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.