Sri Lanka Sea Turtle Conservation
Where: Kandy and coastal homestay, Sri Lanka
Focus: Turtle nest monitoring and Sri Lankan culture
When: September – June | Project starts on the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month.
Duration: Min. 2 weeks
Suitability: Over 18s. Group bookings available.
Cost: Available here.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Help to conserve 5 of the world’s 7 species of sea turtles that can be found around Sri Lanka.
- Spend the first week experiencing Sri Lankan culture, taking language and cooking classes and exploring local sites of interest.
- Support the turtle sanctuary through various activities, whilst supporting scientific monitoring and recording.
- Patrol the beaches to locate and excavate nests to collect turtle eggs.
- Rescue and help rehabilitate injured or sick hatchlings.
- Work within the hatchery, feed turtles, and release them back into the sea.
- Get involved in educating visitors about the project.
- Take part in organised beach clean ups.
Note: Day-to-day duties depend upon the current focus of the project at the time of year.
Accommodation: Volunteers stay in a basic homestay in the town of Kandy for the first week, then at the project site on the coast for the turtle conservation project.
Sleeping: Single-gender, shared dormitory-style rooms with shared bathroom and toilet.
Food: Three meals a day.
Working week: Monday to Friday, 6am until 5pm.
Support: 24-hour in-country support; International HQ emergency support and back-up; UK residential briefing weekend available.
Transport: Volunteers are picked up at Colombo airport and taken to Lanka for the first introduction week, before moving to the project site for the remainder of the stay.
The next step
Visit Frontier for more information and to book. Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.