Costa Rica Sea Turtle Conservation
Where: Camaronal National Park, Guanacaste region, Pacific coast, Costa Rica
Focus: Monitor nesting turtles and support hatchery.
When: All year round | High season – May to November | Low season – December to April.
Duration: 2-4 weeks+
Suitability: Over 18s. Group bookings available.
Cost: 2 weeks starts from GBP 699 | 3 weeks from GBP 899.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Observe and monitor the nesting habits of female sea turtles.
- Learn to identify the turtle species that frequent this beach which include Leatherback, Olive Ridley, Hawksbill and Black turtles.
- Collect scientific data and monitor turtle populations and behaviour.
- Patrol the beach during the day and night (between 2-5 hours at a time).
- Construct juvenile turtle hatcheries where at risk nests can be relocated.
- Mark adult turtles and release baby turtle into the ocean.
- Maintain the centre’s facilities and shelters.
- Perform beach clean ups and tree planting.
- Support and educate the local community.
Accommodation: Volunteers stay at a homestay in San Jose for the first two days during orientation, before moving onto the volunteer house at the project site. The project is located in the Camaronal National Park, in the Guanacaste region.
Sleeping: Dormitory-style rooms with bunk beds. Volunteers need their own sleeping bags and pillows.
Food: 3 healthy meals a day at project site (two meals a day at the homestay).
Support: 24-hour in-country support; International HQ emergency support and back-up; UK residential briefing weekend available.
Transport: Airport pick up included from San José Juan Santamaria airport on the Sunday and escorted to homestay.
The next step: Visit Frontier for more information and to book.
Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.