Studying and protecting the reefs of the Pulau Tioman Marine Park, Malaysia
Who: Biosphere Expeditions
Where: Tioman Marine Park, Malaysia
Duration: 8 days
Focus: Survey coral reefs using the Reef Check methodology
Suitability: All ages.
Requirements: Volunteers must be PADI Open Water certified (or equivalent) before joining this expedition.
Cost: Expedition from GBP 1777.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Volunteer as part of a small group of fellow divers and volunteers onboard a modern liveaboard yacht.
- Become a Reef Check Ecodiver. Learn to identify and survey reef species that help indicative the health of the reefs, such as: sweetlips, groupers, snappers, parrotfish, butterflyfish, lobsters, sea whips, hard and soft corals, and sea urchins.
- Get the chance to see other rarer species: spinner and common dolphins, pilot whales, hawksbill and green sea turtles, black-tip reef sharks and whale sharks.
- Assist the local researcher to study and protect the local Marine Park’s coral reefs, and contribute to the conservation of Malaysia’s valuable ecological resources.
- Scuba dive two to four times a day to perform surveys using the Reef Check methodology.
- Support informed management, education and conservation decisions made by the government and NGOs.
Conservation Qualifications: Volunteers can qualify as a Reef Check EcoDiver, and be eligible to apply for PADI or NAUI Reef Check Speciality Course certification after the expedition. Divers already holding a Reef Check EcoDiver card are more than welcome.
Accommodation: A modern three-deck, 85 feet liveaboard yacht, built in 2002 and completely refurbished in 2014. The boat features an air-conditioned lounge and an open-air dining area, sun deck and dive platform.
Sleeping: Indoor, air-conditioned cabins.
Food: All meals provided.
Base size: Up to 12 team members + 1 local scientist/divemaster + 1 expedition leader + yacht crew
The next step: Visit Biosphere Expeditions for more info and to book.
Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.