Marine Expedition Volunteer Program
Who: African Impact
Where: Mahé Island, Seychelles
Focus: Coral reef surveying and scuba diving
When: All year round (closed December)
Duration: 4, 8 or 12 weeks
Suitability: Over 18s
Requirements: All volunteers must be PADI Open Water (or equivalent) before arriving
Cost: 4 weeks from GBP 2145.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Take your PADI Advanced and PADI Coral Reef Research Diver courses and learn how to identify fish and coral species, visiting and diving amongst deserted tropical islands.
- Enjoy coral reef monitoring and recovery research, whale shark migration observations, invertebrate fish surveys, sea turtle nesting surveys, plankton sampling research, training of local partners and more.
- Help gather marine data to help the Seychelles government show an accurate picture of the overall health of the local coral reefs for the creation of management policies.
- Delight in fun dives and search for incredible marine megafauna, such as whale sharks, manta rays, and dolphins, and visit breeding areas for the hawksbill and green turtle.
- Dive or snorkel daily to conduct underwater surveys.
- Get involved in extra projects such as beach and ocean cleans, environmental education and training sessions.
- Investigate threats to coral populations, including high seasonal sea temperatures, population pressure, poaching and development for tourism.
- Take part in workshops, including: coral reef ecology; community education work; compressor training; and first aid, CPR and O2 equipment
Dive Training: All volunteers must be PADI Open Water, or equivalent, before arriving. On base, volunteers will receive PADI Advanced Open Water (AOW) training.
Conservation Certification: Volunteers receive the PADI Coral Reef Research Diver speciality.
Accommodation: Simple, island living near the beach.
Sleeping: Basic, mixed-sex dorms with shared bathrooms (cold water only). Shared cleaning duties, no internet.
Food: 3 meals a day, prepared by volunteers on a rotational basis. Mostly vegetarian.
Support: 24-hour support from long-term experienced staff.
Transport: Airport pick up and drop off included.
The next step: Visit African Impact for more information and to book.
Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.