Peru Humboldt Penguin Conservation
Where: Chiclayo, Pimental District, Peru
Focus: Humboldt Penguins
When: All year round | The project starts weekly on a Monday.
Note: The feeding of penguins is not possible during their reproductive time, which is May to June and September to October.
Duration: 1-4 weeks (longer durations may be available on request)
Suitability: Over 18s. Group bookings available on request.
Cost: The price gets cheaper the longer you stay – available here.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Learn all about the Humboldt penguin, including their needs and behaviour, whilst working at the penguin centre.
- Assist in hands-on conservation of these penguins and other environmental activities.
- Help to build up and create a safe habitat for the penguins, including constructing natural fencing.
- Help to restore and clean the penguins’ natural habitat.
- Prepare and feed penguins.
- Support the reforestation of cactus.
- Take part in beach clean ups.
- Visit local schools to help promote the penguin conservation and raise awareness of environmental issues affecting the wildlife in Peru.
Accommodation: Volunteers stay in the standard residence or with a local family. The standard residence is close to Chiclayo where there are several houses near the beach and close to the school (walking distance 1-10 mins). Each house has space for 8-30 volunteers. All houses have several shared bathrooms, and a shared kitchen. Their common areas are eating areas as well as roof top terraces with hammocks. Power cuts are common.
Sleeping: In the standard residence rooms are spacious and completely furnished with a table, a chair, a dresser/wardrobe, a mirror and a lockable box or drawer to lock in valuables. Bed linen is provided.
Food: At the home stays all meals are included, even on weekends. At the standard residence volunteers have meals included from Monday to Friday, served at the school. Saturday and Sunday brunch and dinner is provided. Vegetarian/vegan food options are available.
Timetable: Volunteers work Monday – Friday.
Support: 24-hour in-country support; International HQ emergency support and back-up; UK residential briefing weekend available.
Transport: Pick up at Chiclayo (CIX) Airport on the Sunday.
The next step
Visit Frontier for more information and to book. Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.