South Africa Orca Conservation Project
Where: Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
Focus: Monitoring of orcas by boat, and other marine conservation activities.
When: January to November
Duration: 2-12 weeks
Suitability: Over 18s
Cost: The cost gets cheaper the longer you stay – available here.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Make a valuable and significant contribution to the conservation of orcas.
- Gain valuable experience in marine research, conservation and data collection.
- Collect whale and dolphin data whilst helping research staff on boat trips.
- View and record other marine species, including humpback whales, bryde’s whales, bottlenose dolphins and even great white sharks.
- Earn a qualification in marine animal care.
- Analyse river health, collect bait, and help tag and release fish.
- Maintain the centre’s aquarium.
- Join in with beach clean ups.
- Support turtle and marine bird rehabilitation and data collection.
- Take part in tree planting and alien tree removal.
- Get involved with local school conservation education programmes.
Note: Activities on this project vary depending on the time of year and the needs of the research centre.
Accommodation: Shared volunteer house with up to 11 other volunteers depending on the season. The house is situated close to a shopping centre, which includes shops, restaurants and a cinema and is in walking distance of the beach.
Sleeping: Bedrooms are shared, with no more than 4 people to a room.
Food: Most meals are provided, including evening meals 5 nights a week. Basic food is provided breakfasts and packed lunches if required.
Working week: Monday to Friday, 8.30 to 16.30.
Support: 24 hour in-country support; International HQ emergency support and back-up; UK residential briefing weekend available.
Transport: Volunteers make their own way to the project site. Fly in to one of South Africa’s major cities of Cape Town or Johannesburg, then take a connecting internal flight to the city of George. From George, transit to the volunteer accommodation by bus. Alternatively, an airport transfer from George is available at a fee.
The next step
Visit Frontier for more information and to book. Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.