Study and protect the unique coral reefs of Oman’s Musandam peninsula
Who: Biosphere Expeditions
Where: Musandam Peninsula, Oman
When: November – December
Duration: 7 days
Focus: Coral reef surveying
Requirements: Volunteers must be PADI Open Water certified (or equivalent) before joining this expedition.
Suitability: All ages. There is no upper or lower age limit. Under 18s can join on their own with their parent’s/ guardian’s permission.
Cost: 7-day expedition from GBP 1772.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Join a small group of fellow divers and volunteers onboard a modern liveaboard yacht.
- Become a Reef Check Ecodiver. Learn to identify and survey reef species that help indicative the health of the reefs, such as: sweetlips, groupers, snappers, parrotfish, butterflyfish, lobsters, sea whips, hard and soft corals, and sea urchins.
- Assist the local researcher to study the coral reef systems of two existing protected areas with the further aim to develop new marine protected areas.
- Monitor the health of the reefs, its fish and invertebrate communities so that informed management, education and conservation decisions can be made by the government.
- Conduct survey dives up to three times a day.
Dive Training: Volunteers must be PADI Open Water certified (or equivalent) before joining this expedition.
Conservation Qualifications: Qualify as a Reef Check EcoDiver, and be eligible to apply for the PADI or NAUI Reef Check Speciality Course certification after the expedition. Divers already holding a Reef Check EcoDiver card are more than welcome.
Accommodation: Live on, and dive from, a comfortable and modern liveaboard, with a fully equipped kitchen, air compressor, toilet, showers, air-conditioned lounge, electricity and other modern amenities.
Sleeping: Share an air-conditioned two-bed cabin or spread out and sleep on the deck under the stars.
Food: All meals provided.
Base size: Up to 12 team members + 1-2 local scientists/divemasters + 1 expedition leader/divemaster.
The next step: Visit Biosphere Expeditions for more info and to book.
Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.