Marine Dynamics International Marine Volunteers
Who: Marine Dynamics
Where: 5 Geelbek St, Van Dyks Bay, Gansbaai, 7220, South Africa
Focus: Observation and protection of great white sharks, whales and African penguins
When: All year round
Duration: At least 1 week | Recommended 4+ weeks. Those volunteering for 4+ weeks may get the chance to observe shark tagging or acoustic tracking, or learn to handle African seabirds and contribute to regular data collection.
Scientific Internship: Available for marine science undergraduates and graduates. Consists of a series of academic and field-based training modules. Find out more below.
Cost: Fees available on request.
Get 5% off your booking (subject to conditions). Simply complete the form below.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Become part of the only Fair Trade Tourism marine volunteer programme in South Africa.
- Experience a wide range of South African marine wildlife, including the Marine big 5
- Learn about shark behaviour, biology and marine conservation
- Work with crew and tourists on a shark cage diving and dedicated eco-tour/whale watching boats
- Contribute to important conservation projects
- Engage with South African community projects
- Enjoy great white shark cage diving
- Assist marine biologists and learn more about shark research
- Get involved in research and care at the African Penguin and Seabird Sanctuary (APSS).
- Take part in additional activities such as beach clean ups, wine tours and horse back riding.
Accommodation: The Marine Volunteer Centre has four cottages for volunteers, and a house for interns, each with a spacious living area, activity hall and fully equipped kitchen with clean, safe drinking water. There is a lecture room and work space as well as a pool where diving courses take place. There is an activity hall with weights, table tennis, a pool table and a variety of board games, Wi-Fi and satellite TV are available.
The base is a 2 minute walk from the African Penguin and Seabird Sanctuary (APSS) and a 5 minute walk from docks. Walking/cycling distance from volunteer lodge, with dedicated minibuses provided daily for transport needs.
Sleeping: 4 cottages that accommodate up to 6 people per cottage. Each cottage has a bathroom, a mini kitchen and living area as well as daily living essentials.
Food: Breakfast and a light lunch aboard the vessels is included. Any other activities do not include lunch. Dinner should be self-catered.
Working week: The programme works 7 days a week, subject to conditions at sea. Volunteers can take days off as and when they want.
Support: Pre-departure support and guides available.
Transport: Airport pick-up from Cape Town to Gansbaai provided only on a Monday.
Get 5% off the volunteer programme
Fill in this enquiry form, and a member of Marine Dynamics will get in touch to answer all your questions. Plus, you’ll get 5% off your booking (subject to conditions).
If you’re looking to gain work experience in the field, Marine Dynamics offers a comprehensive Scientific Internship programme:
Suitability: Marine science undergraduates and graduates
About: A series of academic and field-based training modules for marine science undergraduates and recent graduates. Interns work alongside experienced specialists to gain unique insights into the wildlife. Training is determined by current projects and environmental factors, such as weather and wildlife presence.
The training: Interns get the chance to cover a diverse range of skills based on academic and industry demand, including:
- Great white shark biology, identification and population monitoring
- Baited Remote Underwater Video deployment
- Scientific authoring and professional development
- Marine diversity assessment
- Scientific photography
- Science in ecotourism and marine guiding
- Small shark tagging
- Cetecean surveys
- 3D Photogrammetry
Marine Dynamics Academy also hosts research projects by visiting scientists, allowing volunteers the opportunity to learn directly from individuals currently working in the field.
Accommodation: A house at the Marine Volunteer Centre.
Cost: Fees available on request. Use the enquiry form above to find out more.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.