Who: Local Ocean Conservation
Where: Watamu, Kenya
Focus: Preserving the future of sea turtles, protecting a fragile marine environment and promoting sustainable livelihoods in the Watamu area. Volunteers will:
- Monitor turtle hatchlings and ensure their safe progress to the sea.
- Patrol the beaches at night to protect nesting female turtles.
- Help out at the only Sea Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre on the East African seaboard. Feed and clean turtles and help with x-rays and turtle rehabilitation back into the ocean.
- Take part in marine environment and sea turtle conservation education and awareness programmes for village communities, fishermen, schools and tourists.
- Take part in beach cleans and surveys, mangrove planting days, and assist with school visits to the rehabilitation centre.
When: All year round | Peak nesting time May to August | Rainy season April-July.
Independent Research: Students are able to conduct their own projects.
Duration: 2 to 10 weeks
Visit Local Ocean Conservation for more details.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer for the ocean.
Write a review: Share your thoughts below.
Disclaimer: Please read our terms and conditions.