Volunteer at The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (CBMWC)
Who: CBMWC | The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales
Where: New Quay, Cardigan Bay, Wales, UK
Focus: Support the running of a wildlife centre and survey bottlenose dolphins, atlantic grey seals and other marine wildlife from land and by boat.
When: March to November
Duration: 4-9 week periods, to 8 months full season – opportunities detailed below
Suitability: Over 18s.
Cost: Free | Volunteers pay for own accommodation.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Make a positive contribution to the marine conservation of Cardigan Bay.
- Learn about the species and habitats of the Bay.
- Gain experience in field work and research methods to perform both land and boat based marine mammal surveys.
- Join the team of Local Volunteers (if a resident of New Quay), or if from further afield as a Seasonal Volunteer, with various volunteer programme opportunities available:
- ‘Living Seas’ – for set periods lasting from 4 to 9 weeks, Mar-Nov
- ‘Research Assistant’ – for the full season Mar-Nov
- ‘ShoreFin’ – for the full season Mar-Nov
- ‘SeaSeal’ – for the full season Mar-Nov
- ‘Living Seas Education’ – for the full season Mar-Nov
- Collect data on the wildlife, with a focus on bottlenose dolphins and atlantic grey seal.
- Learn to photo ID marine megafauna and how to sort, match and catalogue the data.
- Assist with the annual seal pup survey (October).
- Support various ad-hoc projects e.g. acoustic analysis, writing articles for publication on social media.
- Record daily marine life sightings.
- Run the visitor centre, providing interpretation for visitors, selling merchandise and taking boat bookings.
- Maintain and help with the up-keep of the salt water aquarium.
- Take part in community engagement events and inspire the public.
- Join ‘The Discovering our Coasts’ project and assist in providing local young people (aged 14-25) with the opportunity to discover the Ceredigion coast and develop skills.
- Take part in beach cleans.
- Get the opportunity to conduct independent research projects.
Accommodation: Shared accommodation.
Sleeping: Shared same-sex bedrooms.
Working Week: 6-8 hours a day, 6 days a week.
Food: Not included.
The next step: Visit CBMWC for more information and to book.
Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.