Volunteer at The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (CBMWC)
Who: CBMWC | The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales
Where: New Quay, Cardigan Bay, Wales, UK
Focus: Support the running of a wildlife centre and survey bottlenose dolphins, atlantic grey seals and other marine wildlife from land and by boat.
When: March to November
Duration: 4-9 week periods or an 8 month full season
Suitability: Over 18s.
Cost: Free | Volunteers pay for own accommodation.
Find out more: CBMWC
As a volunteer, you will:
- Make a positive contribution to the marine conservation of Cardigan Bay.
- Learn about the species and habitats of the Bay.
- Gain experience in field work and research methods to perform both land and boat based marine mammal surveys.
- Join the team of Local Volunteers (if a resident of New Quay), or if from further afield as a Seasonal Volunteer, with various volunteer programme opportunities available:
- ‘Living Seas’ – for set periods lasting from 4 to 9 weeks, Mar-Nov
- ‘Research Assistant’ – for the full season Mar-Nov
- ‘ShoreFin’ – for the full season Mar-Nov
- ‘SeaSeal’ – for the full season Mar-Nov
- ‘Living Seas Education’ – for the full season Mar-Nov
- Collect data on the wildlife, with a focus on bottlenose dolphins and atlantic grey seal.
- Learn to photo ID marine megafauna and how to sort, match and catalogue the data.
- Assist with the annual seal pup survey (October).
- Support various ad-hoc projects e.g. acoustic analysis, writing articles for publication on social media.
- Record daily marine life sightings.
- Run the visitor centre, providing interpretation for visitors, selling merchandise and taking boat bookings.
- Maintain and help with the up-keep of the salt water aquarium.
- Take part in community engagement events and inspire the public.
- Join ‘The Discovering our Coasts’ project and assist in providing local young people (aged 14-25) with the opportunity to discover the Ceredigion coast and develop skills.
- Take part in beach cleans.
- Get the opportunity to conduct independent research projects.
The next step
Visit CBMWC for more information and to book. Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.