GIVING YOU EXTRA PEACE OF MIND
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, GVI are offering you the opportunity to transfer your program to a new date free of charge should you not be able to start on your proposed date due to travel restrictions. There are also flexible payment plans available, reach out for more information!
Who: Global Vision International (GVI)
Where: Mahé Island, Seychelles
Focus: Coral reef surveying and marine conservation
When: All year round
Duration: 4 to 12 weeks
Suitability: Over 18s
Cost: 4 weeks from GPB 2,695
The price per week gets cheaper the longer you stay
Get 5% off your booking (subject to conditions). Simply complete the form below.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Become a PADI Advanced Open Water diver and learn how to identify fish and coral in the Indian Ocean.
- Learn professional survey techniques for underwater data collection on the health of the reef as part of the PADI Coral Reef Research Diver Distinctive Speciality.
- Help gather marine data to help the Seychelles government show an accurate picture of the overall health of the local coral reefs for the creation of management policies.
- Enjoy whale shark migration observations, invertebrate fish surveys, sea turtle nesting surveys, plankton sampling research and more.
- Investigate threats to coral populations, including high seasonal sea temperatures, population pressure, poaching and development for tourism.
- Dive/snorkel 1-2 times a day, 5 days a week, to carry out underwater surveys after training.
- Delight in fun dives and search for incredible marine megafauna, such as whale sharks, manta rays, and dolphins.
- Visit breeding areas for the hawksbill and green turtle.
- Learn First Aid and CPR.
- Get involved in additional projects and activities, including training sessions, beach and ocean cleans, marine debris surveys, environmental education sessions or alternative income training, depending on local and project needs.
Dive Training: Volunteers must be PADI Open Water certified, or equivalent, before joining. Non-divers that wish to attend can get certified at a local dive centre certified before starting.
Conservation Certification: PADI Coral Reef Research Diver Distinctive Speciality.
Divemaster Internship: Min. 24-week placement, broken into two 12 weeks periods. This first is spent on the marine conservation expedition. The second half is spent working in a local dive centre learning leadership scenarios, and gaining real-life experience.
Accommodation: Simple island living next to the beach.
Sleeping: Shared, basic dormitory-style accommodation with shared bathrooms. Cooking and cleaning duties are completed on a rotational basis.
Support: 24-hour emergency phone, 24-hour in-country support.
Transport: Airport pick up included.
Get 5% off with Sea Fans
Fill in this enquiry form, and a member of GVI will get in touch to answer all your questions. Plus, you’ll get 5% off your booking (subject to conditions).
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer for the ocean.
Write a review: Share your thoughts below.
Disclaimer: Please read our terms and conditions.