Cambodia Marine Conservation and Diving
Where: Koh Rong Samloem Island, Cambodia
Focus: Collect vital data on the health of Cambodia’s coral reefs and seahorses.
When: All year round
Duration: 2 to 10 weeks
Suitability: Over 18s. Group bookings available.
NGO Internships: Available for min. 2 months.
Cost: The cost gets cheaper the longer you stay:
- 1 week from GBP 799.
- 2 weeks from GBP 930
- 4 weeks from GBP 1,210
- Extra weeks from GBP 270
As a volunteer, you will:
- Help to preserve Cambodia’s marine and coastal biodiversity.
- Become a PADI Advanced Open Water diver and take part in coral reef surveys.
- Learn to deploy a wide range of research skills and scientific techniques for both scuba and snorkel surveys.
- Learn to identify hundreds of reef fish, coral and invertebrate species.
- Help to chart the health of the coral, record populations of fish, and other marine life.
- Survey the number of seahorses in the surrounding area.
- Explore and record the creatures that live in the inter-tidal zones and the island’s inland areas.
- Record observations on the feeding habits and behaviour patterns of a range of marine and terrestrial life and report the effects of global warming.
- Help maintain coral nurseries and create maps showing the coral damage.
- Take part in beach and reef clean ups
- Learn about the lives of traditional island fishermen, and discover and report which marine creatures are being sustainably caught and which are being dangerously depleted.
- Work with the local community to support environmentally responsible and sustainable development.
All volunteers must be PADI Advanced Open Water (or equivalent) to take part in coral reef surveying. Full training will be provided on-site.
Volunteers stay at Frontier’s volunteer house which is at the office site of the local partner organisation, with communal living areas.
Sleeping: Shared rooms with bunk beds.
Food: Three meals a day of local Khmer cuisine; vegetarian diets can be catered for.
Support: 24-hour in-country support; International HQ emergency support and back-up; UK residential briefing weekend available
Transport: Airport pick up available at additional cost.
The next step: Visit Frontier for more information and to book.
Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.