GIVING YOU EXTRA PEACE OF MIND
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, GVI are offering you the opportunity to transfer your program to a new date free of charge should you not be able to start on your proposed date due to travel restrictions. There are also flexible payment plans available, reach out for more information!
Who: Global Vision International (GVI)
Where: Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Focus: Learn to scuba dive in the Caribbean conserving coral reef and marine life
When: Open all year round with set start dates, expect for early December to mid January when the base is closed.
Duration: 4 – 12 weeks | For non-certified divers the min. stay is 8 weeks. If joining for 4 weeks, volunteers must already be PADI Open Water certified (or equivalent).
Suitability: Over 18s
- Under 18? GVI runs a Marine Conservation Expedition for 15-17s in Mexico. Simply fill in the form below to find out more.
Cost: 4 weeks from GBP 2245
The price per week gets cheaper the longer you stay:
Get 5% off your booking (subject to conditions). Simply complete the form below.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Monitor the health of coral reefs through surveying the different corals and fish. Volunteers are divided into fish or coral by the onsite Science Officer:
- Fish: IDing and surveying either adult or juvenile fish
- Coral: IDing coral and surveying the sessile organisms on the reef and coral diseases.
- Take part in a variety of marine conservation programmes which run throughout the year as and when they are needed to be completed:
a) Coral restoration in a laboratory and in marine coral nurseries
b) Sea grass ecosystem monitoring
c) Assessing the impact of tourism on coral reefs
d) Recording sightings of marine mega fauna
e) Lionfish population studies
- Get involved in weekly beach cleans and outreach work to assist the community and promote conservation practises.
Dive Training: All volunteers are trained up to PADI Advanced Open Water before beginning the science programme.
PADI Certifications: Emergency First Responser course is available for an additional fee.
Conservation Certifications: Volunteers receive the PADI Coral Reef Research Diver Distinctive Speciality.
Divemaster Internship: Min. 24-week placement, broken into two 12 week periods. The first is spent on the marine conservation expedition. The second half is spent working in a local dive centre learning leadership scenarios, and gaining real-life experience.
Water Temperature: Below are the water temperatures for Mexico throughout the year and a suggestion for the type of wetsuit:
- Jan – March: 24-26 degrees – 3 or 5mm wetsuit.
- April June: 27-28 degrees – 3mm wetsuit
- July – Sept: 28-30 degrees – rash vest and shorts or a 3mm wetsuit or shorty.
- Nov – Dec: 26 – 28 degrees – 3mm wetsuit
- Accommodation: Basic living with cold water showers and flush toilet facilities. Bottled water available for cooking and drinking only. Volunteers share base duties including cooking, cleaning, gear and equipment maintenance, and other chores.
- Sleeping: Shared (mixed sex) dorm rooms with shared bathroom facilities.
- Food: Volunteers prepare their own breakfast from our choice of cereals. During work days lunch and dinner is prepared by a local cook, on weekends participants cook their own meals. Food is a very basic, mostly vegetarian diet, with meat available about once a week. Breakfast could be porridge, fruit or cereal, lunch is beans, vegetables, pasta and sauce, etc. and a typical evening meal may include lentils, pasta, beans, rice and vegetables. Local restaurants are also an option at your own cost during weekends.
- Working week: 5 days a week with weekends free.
- Transport: Airport pick up (unless otherwise stated) and transfer to base.
- Support: 24-hour emergency phone, 24-hour in-country support. All necessary project training done by experienced staff. Welcome meeting on arrival.
Get 5% off with Sea Fans
Fill in this enquiry form, and a member of GVI will get in touch to answer all your questions. Plus, you’ll get 5% off your booking (subject to conditions).
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer for the ocean.
Write a review: Share your thoughts below.
Disclaimer: Please read our terms and conditions.