Who: The Great Projects
Where: Arborek Island, Raja Ampat, Western Papua, Indonesia.
Focus: Scuba dive to survey coral reefs and monitor manta rays:
- Learn Reef Check methodology and survey coral reefs.
- Help produce detailed coastal habitat maps for use in advising local governments and communities on establishing Marine Protected Areas.
- Monitor manta rays and learn to recognise their key characteristics, markings, and behaviours, as well as manta ray ecology, biology, and conservation.
- Teach English to the local school children and other community members, as well as providing education on environmental issues and eco-tourism.
- Join in with beach clean ups.
- Coral reef surveying: All year round
- Manta ray season: November – May. Outside of these months sightings cannot be guaranteed and the manta research part of the project is scaled down.
Duration: 2-8 weeks (min. 3 weeks if dive training required).
Suitability: Over 18s.
Visit The Great Projects for more information.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to experience the ocean
Write a review: Share your thoughts below.
Disclaimer: Please read our terms and conditions.