People and the Sea Expedition
Who: People and the Sea.
Where: Malapascua Island, Philippines.
Focus: Coral reef surveying and scuba diving, or land-based community engagement projects.
When: All-year round. Specific monthly start dates.
Duration: Divers – 4-12+ weeks / Non-divers – 2-12+ weeks.
Suitability: Over 18s.
Cost: Available here.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Scuba dive on beautiful reefs and get the chance to see thresher sharks at the world-famous dive site, Monad Shoal.
- Learn coral reef ecology and how to carry out coral reef surveys – no previous experience required as full training is provided.
- Help establish an ongoing coral reef monitoring and biodiversity assessment programme on 25-30 sites.
- Develop a science training program for the local community.
- Create a habitat map of Malapascua’s waters and a usage map of Malapascua’s waters (fishing and diving sites).
- Make a difference in the community by taking part in community engagement projects.
- Help identify the island’s main fishing methods, and sources of income. This will inform the investigation of what alternative sources of income could be developed on Malapascua.
- Establish effective communication links with the local community/stakeholders that permit the dissemination of the information we gather.
PADI Dive Training: All volunteers will be trained up to a minimum of PADI Advanced Open Water (AOW).
Home-stay – Live in a local community household.
Private accommodation – Available in a bungalow or at a resort for an extra cost.
Food – 3 meals a day, plus unlimited water, tea and coffee.
Support – Comprehensive logistical support.
Group size – Max. 8 volunteers.
The next step
Visit People and the Sea for more information and to book. Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.