Reef Buddy Volunteers in Carriacou
Who: Caribbean Reef Buddy
Where: Hillsborough, Carriacou, Grenada, the Caribbean
Focus: Coral reef surveying
When: All year round
Duration: 2 or 4 weeks (min. 8 weeks for Eco Divemaster Programme).
Suitability: Over 18s. Group bookings available.
Independent Research: Volunteers have the chance to conduct their own research projects.
- 2 weeks from GBP 1886
- 4 weeks from GBP 2995
- Eco Divemaster Programme: GBP 4979 (excluding PADI fees).
As a volunteer, you will:
- Support the project’s mission and work with local communities in the protection and preservation of a healthy, diverse and sustainable marine ecosystem.
- Gain complete training in ongoing marine and coral reef conservation projects.
- Become a PADI Advanced Open Water diver, or if already qualified enjoy fun diving in lieu.
- Learn dive specialities in digital underwater photography, coral and fish identification, navigation, and buoyancy control.
- Get trained in lionfish containment, hunting, analysis and data collection.
- Learn Reef Check survey methodology including fish, substrate and coral survey techniques.
- Enjoy a day trip to Tobago Cays Marine Park, setting of the Pirates of the Caribbean, and many other Caribbean reef islands.
- Snorkel with Green and Hawksbill turtles and have the chance to conduct turtle surveys.
- Try kite surfing, or go on nature walks through mangroves and the nature park.
- Dive training: All volunteers must be PADI Advanced Open Water (or equivalent) to take part in the coral reef surveys. All diving courses conducted by Deefer Diving Carriacou, a PADI 5 star Instructor Development Resort.
- What’s included?: All dive training, fees, equipment, course materials and research equipment is provided as part of expedition cost.
- Eco Divemaster Programme: Available for stays of min. 8 weeks. Gain a PADI Divemaster professional rating as well as a thorough understanding of marine conservation projects.
Accommodation: The guest house is located in the centre of Hillsborough, a short distance from the the dive centre, shops and the beach.
Sleeping: 2 people per room. All rooms have en-suite bathrooms, fans, free Wif-Fi, kitchenettes, and a balcony.
Food: Half-board – Breakfast and evening meals provided. Full-board available.
Working week: 1 day off per week.
Number of volunteers: Max. 10 volunteers.
Volunteer pick up: From the ferry terminal in Carriacou.
The next step: Visit Caribbean Reef Buddy for more info and to book.
Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.