Cambodian Scuba Dive and Marine Conservation Project
Who: Reach Out Volunteers
Where: Koh Rong Island, Cambodia
Focus: Cleaning and restoring the coral reefs around Koh Rong island.
When: December to January and May to July
Duration: 14 days
Suitability: Over 18s
Cost: Available here
As a volunteer, you will:
- Become a PADI Open Water or Advanced diver.
- Make an artificial coral pod and prepare the concrete feet for when the pods are placed on the reef. The pods stimulate coral growth and provide a sustainable and renewable food supply in the marine eco-system.
- Monitor the growth of coral and marine life on the pods placed by previous volunteers.
- Remove tangled nets from the coral reefs and carry out underwater clean ups.
- Monitor the success of the regeneration program for unique populations of marine life such as seahorses.
- Get involved with a number of community projects such as building new houses or school buildings or working on the water catchment.
- Join in with beach and village clean ups,
Accommodation: Volunteers spend nights 1, 12 and 13 in Phnom Penh and nights 2-11 on Koh Rong island;
- Phnom Penh: Sam-sex, twin/triple shared rooms in a hotel in Phnom Penh, close to restaurants, markets and shops. All linen, pillows, towels provided. Rooms have own private bathrooms, and doors with locks.
- Koh Rong: Shared rustic beach bungalows complete with bed linen, mosquito nets and bucket showers.
Food: Three meals a day.
Working week: Monday to Friday with the weekend free.
Transport: Airport pick up from Phnom Penh and all in-country transport.
The next step
Visit Reach Out Volunteers for more info and to book. Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.