Cambodia Beach Conservation
Where: Koh Rong Samloem Island, Cambodia
Focus: Coral reef surveying.
When: All year round.
Duration: 2-10 weeks+
Suitability: Over 18s. Group bookings available.
Cost: 2 week starts from GBP 599.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Help preserve Cambodia’s marine and coastal biodiversity.
- Become an experienced and competent snorkeller.
- Learn to deploy a wide range of research skills and scientific techniques.
- Learn to identify hundreds of reef fish, coral and invertebrate species.
- Help to discover and chart the health of the coral reefs, record numbers of fish, and other marine life.
- Explore and record the creatures that live in the inter-tidal zones and the island’s inland areas.
- Assess the amount of algae and coral cover to work out the extent of coral damage.
- Record observations on the feeding habits and behaviour patterns of a range of marine and terrestrial life and report the effects of global warming.
- Help maintain coral nurseries and create maps showing the coral damage.
- Take part in beach and reef clean ups
- Learn about the lives of traditional island fishermen, and discover and report which marine creatures are being sustainably caught and which are being dangerously depleted.
- Work with the local community and teach at local schools about how to be more environmentally responsible.
- Get the opportunity to learn to dive, or advance dive skills through PADI courses (must be arranged before arriving on-site).
Volunteers can either stay in a hostel situated at the office site of the local partner organisation; or at Frontier’s beach camp, a locally built volunteer house right on the beach (for an additional fee).
Hostel: Shared dormitory-style rooms, and communal living areas.
Beach camp: Basic living. Volunteers take turns to cook over a camp fire, collect firewood, collect and treat water, and help with a wide variety of other essential camp duties. Ask Frontier when booking.
Food: Three meals a day of local Khmer cuisine.
Support: 24-hour in-country support; International HQ emergency support and back up; UK residential briefing weekend available.
Transport: Airport pick up available at additional cost
The next step: Visit Frontier for more information and to book.
Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.