Volunteer with Basking Shark Scotland on a research expedition.
Who: Basking Shark Scotland
Where: Dunoon, Scotland
Focus: Boat tour to gather data on basking sharks and their migration patterns.
Duration: 4 or 8 day trips
Suitability: 16+. Open to anyone with an interest in basking sharks. Great for prospective marine biology students.
Cost: 4 day trips start from GBP 430.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Swim with basking sharks and collect underwater information as part of the science programme.
- Training in plankton sampling and analysis.
- Photograph/ video the basking sharks.
- Record sightings of other marine life such as whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals and seabirds.
- Take part in a series of info-talks on the ecology and conservation of basking sharks by trained marine biologists.
Science programme primary goals:
- Study the abundance of southerly basking shark population.
- Record location, time, size, sex and behaviour of southerly basking sharks along with environmental factors.
- Record images and video of sharks for entry into shark fin ID catalogue.
- Analyse plankton samples from feeding and non-feeding areas.
Chalets: Waterfront, wooden chalets with two or three bedrooms per chalet.
Bedrooms: Double or twin beds with separate bathrooms along with a large lounge and outdoor balcony. Sharing is arranged on a twin share basis.
Single Rooms: Limited number available.
Board: Self-catering with fully equipped kitchen.
Max. passengers: 8
About Basking Shark Scotland
Basking Shark Tours was founded in 2012. Their aim was to give more people the chance to get up-close experiences with some of the ocean’s greatest creatures. They are passionate about the marine environment and ensure that their tours have no negative impact on the environment and marine life.They are in the unique position to observe more basking sharks than anyone else in the world and have an active science programme which every is added to on every tour.
Headquarters: Cearban Ltd. 8 McKelvie Road, Oban, Argyll & Bute, PA34 4GB
The next step: Visit Basking Shark Scotland for more information and to book.
Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.