Volunteer with Bimini Shark Lab
Who: Bimini Shark Lab
Where: Bimini, Bahamas
Focus: Shark and ray research
When: Non-flexible start dates, five times a year – January 3rd, April 15th, June 15th, August 15th, and December 15th
Duration: Min. 2 month stay (3-4 months recommended)
Suitability: 18-35. Excellent for marine biology students and graduates or anybody interested in pursuing a career in marine research.
Independent Research: Limited number of independent research positions available for graduates and undergraduates. e.g. Undergraduate Dissertations, MSc Theses and Doctoral Theses.
Application: Due to busy schedules, volunteers should apply at least 4-6 months in advance.
Cost: 1 month from USD 875.
Find out more: Bimini Shark Lab
As a volunteer, you will:
- Take part in intensive field research, learning practical and theoretical skills that will enhance prospects as a future scientist.
- Assist PhD students gather data for their projects
- Learn how to properly handle sharks, tracking techniques, data recording and conducting behavioural observations.
- Be trained in boat safety, knot tying, fixing nets, setting longlines and cutting bait.
- Become part of a team helping with the general upkeep of the research lab, cooking meals, and assisting with the daily running of the station.
Accommodation: Volunteers live at the research station with three full time PhD students and six staff members.
Sleeping: Single-sex dorm rooms with a maximum of 4 people per room.
Food: 3 meals a day, prepared by staff and volunteers on a rotational basis. Sundays are self-catering.
Base size: Max. 10 volunteers.
Support: 24-hour on-site volunteer support
The next step
Visit Bimini Shark Lab for more information and to apply. Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.