The Dolphin Discovery Centre Volunteer Program
Who: Dolphin Discovery Centre
Where: Bunbury, Western Australia
Focus: The conservation, education and research of the local population of wild bottlenose dolphins.
When: All year round (closed Christmas Day)
- Short term volunteers: Min. 6 weeks, 5 days a week. 4 hours a day.
- Long term volunteers: Min. 4 hours a week for 6 months.
Requirements: Volunteers should be fluent in English.
Accommodation: Not provided
Cost: Free. A volunteer shirt will be provided at a cost of $25 after training.
Find out more: Dolphin Discovery Centre
As a volunteer, you will:
- Manage the dolphin interaction program and acting as a guide when dolphins visit the beach.
- Increase awareness of dolphins and other marine life by talking to visitors on the beach and explaining the aims and objectives of the Dolphin Discovery Centre.
- Participate in “Coastcare” activities and assisting with current research projects.
- Assist with dolphin observations in the bay, monitor dolphin visits to the zone and record data.
- Guide tours through the ‘Interpretive Centre’ and help educate the general public, tour groups and schools about dolphins.
- Help out with various tasks, general maintenance and cleaning around the centre including on Eco Cruises and Swim Tours when required.
Short term volunteers: Usually visitors to the Bunbury region. Must be able to spend a minimum of six weeks at the centre and be available to come in at least five days a week. There is a standard minimum of 4 hours per day including one weekend shift.
Long term volunteers: Usually those who live and work in the Bunbury region. Must be able to spend a minimum of four hours at the centre each week, for a minimum of six months, although they are welcome to spend much more.
The next step
Visit the Dolphin Discovery Centre for more information. Please say that you heard about this project from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this project below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to volunteer in marine conservation.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.