Marine Life: Thresher sharks
Where: Monad Shoal – a sea mount off the coast of Malapascua Island, Cebu, Philippines
When: Thresher sharks can be seen all year round. They come up from the oceans depths to this cleaning station early in the morning. Most dive boats leave the island as soon as the sun comes up, around 4.30am.
How: Scuba Diving. The top of the sea mount is around 20m so you should be an Advanced Open Water or above. Open Water divers can take part in the dive but you must complete the Deep Adventure dive course which can be used as part of your Advanced course.
What else can you see? Malapascua is a fantastic location with hundreds of dive sites dotted around the island. Highlights include:
- Dusk/ night diving at the Lighthouse reef to spot mandarinfish.
- Excellent muck diving, including pygmy seahorses, blue ring octopus, cuttlefish, nudibranchs, smashing mantis shrimp, pipefish… and more.
How to experience
Sea Fans recommends Thresher Shark Divers (TSD)
About: A PADI 5* Career Development Centre (CDC) offering:
- A full range of PADI courses, including Tech diving.
- Go pro with Divemaster and Instructor Internships.
- Offers the PADI Thresher Shark Diver Speciality – unique to Thresher Shark Divers.
- PADI Green Star Award.
- 100% Project AWARE – Conducts Project AWARE specialities including Coral Reef Conservation, Underwater Naturalist and the Shark Conservation Speciality
- Green Fins certified.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to experience the ocean
Write a review: Share your thoughts below.
Disclaimer: Please read our terms and conditions.