Scuba Junkie – Fuel the Addiction
Who: Scuba Junkie
Where: Mabul Island, Sabah, Malaysia
When: All year round.
About: A PADI 5* IDC (Instructor Development Centre) offering:
- PADI courses and dive packages
- Dive trips to all the popular sites around the Celebes Sea: at Sipadan, Mabul, Kapalai, the Sipadan Barrier Reef and the Tak Sakaran Marine Park.
- Frequently voted as the world’s number one dive destination. It is home to thousands of turtles, schooling fish and sharks, swirling barracuda, and awe-inspiring coral walls dropping more than 600m straight down.
- Cleaning stations that attract manta rays, devil rays and sharks.
- It is also one of the world’s best macro life areas with creatures such as pygmy seahorses, nudibranches, flamboyant cuttlefish, mandarinfish and other marine life still to be identified.
- Enjoy excellent muck and night dives.
- Be lucky and spot a whale shark or even a whale.
- Snorkelling only tours.
Accommodation: Scuba Junkie offers accommodation at either their dive centre at Mabul Beach Resort on Mabul Island, or at their budget-friendly SJ Dive Lodge on the mainland in Semporna town.
Join Scuba Junkie at their other dive centre on the north coast of Sabah at Kota Kinabalu for more spectacular diving, for example enjoy diving with whale sharks.
- PADI Green Star Award.
- 100% Project AWARE.
- Green Fins certified.
- Dedicated staff of marine biologists and shark conservationists.
- Runs the S.E.A.S (Shark Education, Awareness & Survival) presentations project.
- Reef Check Certified Dive Centre with full time Reef Check Certified Instructors.
- Beach Cleans and Dive Against Debris dives.
- Hosts talks by outside projects e.g. the WWF, the Darwin Initiative, The Friends of Tun Sakaran Marine Park, and Borneo Conservancy.
- Teaches in local schools about environmental projects and to encourage recycling.
- No Seafood Policy at resort and dive centers.
- Advises and raises funds for the Semporna Shark Sanctuary.
- Mabul Turtle Hatchery for Hawksbill and Green turtles in partnership with the Sabah Wildlife Department.
- Chair of the Mabul Marine Committee.
- Winner of Responsible Tourism award – Best in Protection of Natural Areas and Wildlife Conservation.
Dive Training: Full range of PADI courses from Discover Scuba try dives, Open Water to Rescue, as well as speciality courses, such as Wreck, Underwater Naturalist, Project AWARE courses e.g. AWARE Coral Reef Conservation, and many more.
Go Pro: PADI Divemaster and Instructor courses available. The Divemaster course is 4 weeks long and have the option of an additional 2 weeks internship.
Eco-Divemaster Course: The PADI Divemaster course with additional:
- Lectures on shark and turtle conservation and biology
- Reef fish & Coral ID sessions
- Reef Check Certification course with the in-house Reef Check team.
- Helping out with extra marine conservation activities such as beach cleans, reef cleans, helping release baby turtles at the hatchery and community projects such as introducing local school kids to the underwater world.
The next step: Visit Scuba Junkie for more information and to book.
Please say that you heard about this dive operator from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this organisation below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to experience the ocean.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.