Step off the Sand and into a Spectacular Marine Reserve
Who: Barefoot Manta Island
Where: Manta Island, Drawaqa Islands, South Yasawas, Fiji
When: All year round | Mantas from May to October
About: A private island diving eco-resort with accommodation. The resort offers:
- A small and intimate dive resort with eco-friendly, safari tent-style accommodation.
- SSI dive courses, packages, and trips to all the popular dive sites around the Yasawa islands.
- Shore and boat dives to explore caves, walls, wrecks, pinnacles and night dives.
- Snorkel with manta rays between May and October, with rare sightings outside the season.
- Informative marine talks by the local marine scientists.
- Dedicated team of marine scientists conducting research at the resort.
- Rehabilitation of injured marine animals.
- Giant clam protection.
- Member of the Manta Trust. conducting conservation and research into the population, behaviours, and habitat of the manta rays that gather in the channel between Naviti and Drawaqa Islands.
- Member of the International Ecotourism Society. They continually look for ways to minimise their ecological footprint, protecting the environment and contributing to the wellbeing of the villagers.
- The resort employs up to 75% of the staff from the village and provides vocational training to school leavers. It is home to volunteers participating in Vinaka Fiji’s Children, Schools and Education programme.
- Most of the fresh produce is local and seasonal, grown by the villagers on the islands or sourced from local, sustainable seafood suppliers. Local master craftsmen helped to create the eco-accommodation.
Dive Training: SSI courses from beginner try dives and Open Water to Advanced.
Marine Experience: Ask about Barefoot Manta’s tourism programme designed for people who would like to work alongside their marine biology department and learn more about coral reefs while doing great things for the environment.
The next step: Visit Barefoot Manta Island for more info and to book.
Please say that you heard about this dive operator from Sea Fans.
Write a review: Share your experience of this organisation below.
Be inspired: Discover more ways to experience the ocean.
Get in touch: To claim or amend this listing, please contact us.
Disclaimer: Sea Fans is a labour of underwater love.
Please read our terms and conditions.